4/14 Progress Post

For this week, I polished my powerpoint for the final presentation next next week. Most of the content is the same as the mid-point presentation; the what, why, how, and the process. I’m emphasizing the why part more by adding synonyms of addiction, and making sure to come back to that core idea over and over again throughout. Disgustingl beautiful is another key word I noted to myself to use more often. I made other improvements, such as putting process shots (especially when coating sugar on hand), and couple best ones from each category to analyze the visual impact in depth.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 1.23.33 AM

I also asked couple more people about the best photograph from the series, and they all pointed to the one Julie and I felt confident with. The roll printer was acting up weirdly this week, so I was unable to print as I planned. However, I will print this weekend to see how it will look. All I need for the exhibition are small magnets and nails to hold the print up on the wall. It isn’t going to be framed.

One on One Reflection

Last Friday was the very last one on one reflection with my mentor, Julie. It always feels like there isn’t enough time to finish a project. Maybe it’s the other way around, and a project is just never-ending. Sugar High seems to fit both cases. It is the longest project I ever worked on throughout my college, and it almost became my habit to shoot sugar-coated hands every week. But I do want to put an end (perhaps a pause?) before I leave college. For me, the Honors Capstone exhibition is the perfect opportunity to do so. Showcasing Sugar High can’t be more satisfying and pleasurable than letting the photographs sleep inside cold hard drive forever.

The space in the gallery is limited, and each student only has one piece of wall. Rather than making a triptych or a diptych, I decided to print 24″x 36″ print of an absolute best sugar image that I made this semester. I want the viewer to be immersed and integrated into the sugary texture growing out of the palm through the intimidating size.

File_000

I chose and printed best photographs from each category I shot (white sugar, cookies, chocolate, gummy bear, Jolly Rancher, Twinkies and sugar sprinkles), and discussed with Julie which one was the best of all. And..here is what we concluded as!

File_001

I just love how the texture is reminiscent of digestive system (like acid in stomach), yet still retains its aesthetic through the color. And this precisely is the character of the sugar I’m portraying; its seductive nature is deceiving. I can’t wait to see them printed huge!

I also shot couple more chocolate in case I was in short of selection, which appeared to be the complete opposite (I had so many to choose from!). These definitely felt weaker than the other series and needs work, but nevertheless a great exercise to keep my creative mind flowing. So, here they are;

3/31 Progress Post

For this week, I was editing down the photographs the most of the time. While doing so, I also realized that I never went back to edit the Twinkies series. I shot them the week before the presentation and sort of forgotten about it since then. So, I decided to take some time to examine Twinkies series, and see if it is worth including in the project. Here are the better shots I found:

As you can see from the photographs, I simply placed pieces of Twinkies in various shape. The first couple ones only consist of Twinkies. I think the Twinkies’ pastry part plays nice long the skin color, and the cream creates an interesting texture that is inviting to eat. At the same time though, the cake part stands out too much from the skin. Many other series appear as if the sugary product is embedded in the skin (or rather melting into the skin, becoming part of it). Here, I don’t feel like the Twinkies are cooperating to achieve that image. Even in the ones with colored sprinkles, it just doesn’t have that kind of luminosity that others sugary products has.

So maybe I can move on from Twinkies, and experiment more with the colored sprinkles. At least that way, the colors are going to stay much more consistent with the bright rainbow colors from other products. Wetting the sprinkles might also help to achieve the digestive system look that the jolly rancher has. Or…should I just jump on to M&M’s/Skittles? I’m nearly running out of time for the last shoot, so I might as well begin working on those two.

Also, printed postcard size photographs are going to have to happen next week. And it will.

3/17 Progress Post

With all the feedbacks and reflections from last week, I decided to wrap up gummy bear section of the project. The past experiments with gummy bear didn’t quite fit in with others. Chopped up gummy bears felt too separated from the skin, but I liked the curves of the gummy parts that were still recognizable. On the other hand, the melted ones had an interesting texture that sort of resonated with digestive acid. Despite that, the colors were too vibrant on its own (especially the red and orange). This time, I mixed these two up to see whether it can balance the textures.

Since melted gummy bears dry pretty quickly, I melted all analogous colors (red, orange and yellow) together. I also melted purple ones right after in a separate batch so that it doesn’t make the reds darker. Here are the photographs:

I do like these much, much better than the previous gummy bears. The way the melted gummy bears stream across the skin pretty much sums up the repulsive part, but the those still in shape relfects off highlights that illuminates its texture. The only thing that is bothering me is the vibrancy of the melted orange gummy bears. I might include more purple or just melt orange and yellow to lessen its intensity.

Meanwhile, after I get back from spring break, I plan to print out some photographs to determine which is actually the best or not.