Project Process 2/19

So, I’m officially ending the jolly rancher series. I feel pretty confident about this particular series of photos; the colors, the texture, the lighting, and above all, the concept came out nicely. Now, moving on to the next sugary food: chocolate.

Since Valentine’s day/season hit its highest peak last week, I went ahead and bought some cheap boxes of chocolate. I basically followed the same method as I did in jolly rancher. Chocolates were cracked open and crushed into tiny bits and pieces, and was applied to the surface of the hand by using egg white as adhesive. Here are few of the shots:

I’m not very proud of these photographs. Actually, I am not at all. Nothing appears appetizing, pretty, cute, nor seductive. Instead they just look like…something else that is way more disgusting. And this pretty much falls from what I am striving for. It was so much more difficult than I thought it was going to be. So, I’ve decided to continue experimenting with chocolate till the end. Hopefully the end product will elevate its aesthetic.

Another set of photographs I did this week is the sugar clusters. I photographed these similarly to the mineral-looking jolly rancher: black background, slight reflection, small aperture, and macro shot. There weren’t too much light reflected off of the sugar, but here they are:

Just like the chocolate, I wasn’t very excited about these when I viewed the final image. Each sugar cluster looks weirdly placed in the space. They even seem to be trying too hard to look like something else. Perhaps it’s the shape of the cluster. It doesn’t resemble crystal and minerals very much (although I’m sure I’ve seen something like this before in the museum). Additionally, like Julie said, the composition can also be the reason why it’s not quite fitting. There were more negative space/background shown in the jolly rancher.

I plan to shoot these sugar cluster again. I feel like I can make it way better pretty quickly. There are couple of things I can do next time. Rather than letting the cluster form naturally, I mass produce them like cookie, or even put them in a mold. During the shoot, the sugar on the surface can be wiped away since they are distracting the dominant object. Also, I could add some moisture to the surface of the cluster, so that the highlight of each sugar particle can be emphasized more.

Overall, it was a good week to make mistakes and learn from them.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s